Did I say that I grabbed a friend? I meant to say, Modern Style Maven that specializes in nautical fashions. She taught me all kinds of stuff that is relevant for buying clothes for my body type, which is petite, curvy, with a large bust. Here are her recommendations:
- No large print/patterns on shirts, it will only make me look bigger
- No turtlenecks, they will also make me look even more top heavy than I am (if that's possible)
- No horizontal stripes, you guessed it, they'll make me look bigger
- V-neck or open neck-line shirts are best to show a little of the decollatage (I apologize, I don't know how to add a fancy accent mark) area to make me look presentable and modern
- Fabric should just drape across my skin, it shouldn't be too tight or too loose
- Clothing with a defined waist and defined bust area will make me look smaller and more put together
There were many more suggestions that she gave me, but I could only soak so much up!
1. When you have a large tummy or one that sticks out, then you want your clothes to have a defined waist. If they don't have a defined waist, oftentimes, you can create one with a belt.
2. If you are top heavy, make sure the buttons are not pulling. If they are, then you need to go up a size, and you may have to have the sides taken in by a seamstress.
|Cute, but too small to fit my chest|
3. If you have big arms that you don't want to accent, sometimes cap sleeves make them look bigger. Also, if you have a mid-section that you want to hide, don't choose items that are too tight.
|Cute, but makes my stomach noticeable and the color is a little too drab for my tastes|
4. Perfect dress- Defined bust area that are large enough for your dress to fit in and a material that glides over your problematic mid-section. Jack pot!!!!
What is the best style advice you've ever received