Monday, June 27, 2011

Recipe: Crockpot Fried Chicken


Let me start off by saying that I am really not a fan of crockpot meals.  I know, I know...yes, I am a busy mother who really doesn't have time to cook, and should be concerned with stretching our dollar by making meals that are easy to have for leftovers.  However, my family (and I, to a certain degree) seem to love meals that I have to put time into and stand over the stove for hours to produce a delectable three-courses (sometimes four) that will tantalize our taste buds.

Let's say that this is getting old very fast!  I am also looking for ways to conserve energy, especially in the summer; it just doesn't make sense to heat the entire house up by using the oven or stove top.  Which leads me to my featured recipe.  One of the pastors at my church told me about some crockpot fried chicken that her family loved.  I did a google search and here's the recipe I came to.

Of course I modified it to suit my family's tastes, but I pretty much followed her instructions.  Let me qualify this recipe by saying that if you want crunchy Popeye's style chicken, please go to Popeye's or get out your deep fryer.  However, if you are interested in a "fried-like" taste and texture without the hassle, clean-up, calories, and active time it takes to fry, then crockpot fried chicken may be a solution for you.

1.  Remember to season both sides of the chicken

2 Shakes- Lawry's Seasoning Salt
5 Shakes- Mrs. Dash Garlic and Herb Seasoning
5 Shakes- Mrs. Dash Onion Seasoning
1 Shake-  Cumin
1 Shake-  Pepper
1 Shake-  Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
1/4 cup-   Country Crock Butter

2.  I thoroughly coated both sides of the chicken with Bisquick Pancake Mix or you can use flour.  Next I covered the bowl with foil and placed in the refrigerator for a few minutes.  The longer you let it set in the refrigerator, the more time the flour will have to settle on the chicken and create a crunchy breaded taste.

3.  I prepared my crockpot by using a Reynolds Slow Cook Liner.  This was my first time using a liner, which turned out great.  My only concern is I don't know if the plastic in the liner contains BPA or any other harmful chemicals when heated like this.  Does anyone know?  On the flip side, using the liner means virtually no scrubbing out a big bowl with stuck on food.  YEAH!

4.  I melted down a 1/4 cup of Country Crock Butter.  I wish I had some margarine, oh well!

5.  Next I took the chicken and lined it up in the crockpot to create a single layer (no stacking).  I used chicken thighs, however, I'm sure you can use whatever chicken parts you desire.

6.  I then took the melted butter, and poured it on top of the chicken and put the lid on to let it cook.

7.  I let it cook for about 3.5 hours on High.

What do you know??!!??  I came up with chicken that had a fried-like texture.  The edges were very crunchy, and it was juicy and flavorful.  The only downside I have about this meal is that it was better the first day because it had a slight crunch around the edges and you could really taste the seasonings.  We also had it for leftovers, and of course, it was more soggy and somehow the flavor escaped.  Real deep fried chicken, actually gets a better flavor (in my opinion) the next day because the seasoning has time to go through the chicken to the bone.

Let me know if you ladies try this recipe!  What are your favorite crockpot meals?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading and appreciate each and every comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...